Home » What Plants are Poisonous to Dogs?

What Plants are Poisonous to Dogs?

by Admin
91663 what plants are poisonous to dogs

What Plants are Poisonous to Dogs?

1. What are the most common plants that are poisonous to dogs?

What Plants are Poisonous to Dogs?

Like humans, dogs are also susceptible to toxicity from plants. Dogs may be curious about the world around them and try to investigate with their mouths, making them prone to accidentally ingesting poisonous plants.

It can be difficult and time consuming to list out all the potential toxic plants, so here are a few of the most common types that are especially toxic and should be avoided if you have a dog in the household:

Toxic Bulbs

  • Lilies – All parts of lilies are toxic to dogs, especially lily of the valley, calla lily and day lily, which are all highly poisonous. Even minimal ingestion can cause vomiting, bowel issues and depression.
  • Tulips – The bulbs of tulips, hyacinths, onion, garlic and chives all contain toxic compounds that can cause vomiting, diarrhea and depressed spirits.
  • Daffodils – Daffodils contain toxic alkaloids that can act as a digestive system irritant to dogs.

Toxic Foliage

  • Azaleas/Rhododendrons – These plants contain toxins that can cause vomiting, as well as slowed heart rhythm, drooling, coma and even death.
  • Oleander – All parts of the oleander are toxic, particularly the leaves and branches, containing multiple toxins that can affect the heart, cause stomach discomfort, paralysis and may even cause death.
  • Toadstools – Many toadstools contain very powerful toxins that can cause severe digestive system upset in dogs before they even enter the bloodstream.

If your dog accidentally ingests any type of toxic plant, it is important to take them to the vet as quickly as possible for medical treatment. The sooner the treatment is administered, the less likely it is to cause any significant or permanent damage to the dog.

It is a good idea to research any garden plants before bringing them into a home with a dog, to help ensure the safety of the pet. If you do have plants around the house, it is important to keep a keen eye on the dogs and to ensure that they are not chomping away at anything suspicious – for their own sake.

It is also recommended that you contact your local poison control center or veterinarian as soon as you can if you think your dog may have ingested something suspicious.

You may also like

Adorablepets Blog Provides You Reliable Answers On How To Keep Your Pet Healthy. With Our Latest Tips And Tricks And Much More. Your Pet Will Love What You Have Done to Them. The Blog Is All About Our Pets.

Products

Features

Get Started

About